My family has enjoyed this delicious rice dish for many years. With chopped red and green peppers, it's both fresh-tasting and festive-looking. It's the perfect light side dish for a big holiday meal. —Chere Bell, Colorado Springs, Colorado
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, saute onion, celery and peppers in butter over medium
- heat for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; set
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a full boil. Remove from the heat.
- Quickly stir in rice, celery mixture, salt if desired and pepper.
- Cover and let stand for 6-7 minutes. Stir before serving. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with margarine and low-sodium broth and without salt) equals 152 calories, 44 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 30 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.