Christmas Pudding with Nutmeg Sauce Recipe
An adaptation of the traditional holiday staple, my fruity plum pudding stays true to those time-honored rustic flavors.—Deb Thompson, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and molasses. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the apple, raisins, cherries and dates.
- 2. Pour into a well-greased 6-cup pudding mold or metal gelatin mold. Cover with foil. Place on a rack in a deep kettle. Add 1 in. of boiling water to kettle; cover and boil gently for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, replacing water as needed. Let stand for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and nutmeg. Unmold pudding onto a serving plate; cut into wedges. Serve warm with sauce. Yield: 8 servings (1/2 cup sauce).
1 slice with 1 tablespoon sauce equals 469 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Pudding with Nutmeg Sauce
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC