- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and
- refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves
- and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange and
- cherry juices, beating well after each addition. Stir in the fruit
- Pour into two well-greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover with foil.
- Place on a rack in each of two stockpots. Add 2 in. of boiling water
- to each stockpot; cover and boil gently for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or
- until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding
- water as needed. Let stand for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, egg
- yolk, half-and-half and salt. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold
- whipped cream and brandy into brown sugar mixture. Serve with
- pudding. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Editor's Note: This pudding can be baked in a water bath at 325° for the same amount of time.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 515 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.