My pickle recipe was adapted from one a dear family friend shared. These morsels are delicious any time of year, but the green, red and white hues of the pickles, cherries and onions make them ideal for Christmas gift giving.
104 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 gallon whole dill pickles
- 11-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 to 4 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 to 5 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 pound whole candied cherries
- 3 jars (15 ounces each) pearl onions, drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Drain pickles; reserving juice; set juice aside. Cut pickles into
- 1/2-in. slices; set aside. In a large kettle, combine the sugar,
- vinegar, mustard seed, cloves, peppers, garlic, cinnamon sticks and
- pickle juice.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved,
- stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Discard cinnamon sticks.
- In a large bowl, combine the cherries, onions and pickle slices. Pour
- liquid over pickle mixture. Stir in oil.
- Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, stirring occasionally. Divide