My pickle recipe was adapted from one a dear family friend shared. These morsels are delicious any time of year, but the green, red and white hues of the pickles, cherries and onions make them ideal for Christmas gift giving. —Patricia Martin, Shelbyville, Tennessee
104 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 gallon whole dill pickles
- 11-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 to 4 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 to 5 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 pound whole candied cherries
- 3 jars (15 ounces each) pearl onions, drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Drain pickles; reserving juice; set juice aside. Cut pickles into
- 1/2-in. slices; set aside. In a large stockpot, combine sugar,
- vinegar, mustard seed, cloves, peppers, garlic, cinnamon sticks and
- pickle juice.
- Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved,
- stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Discard
- cinnamon sticks.
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, onions and pickle slices. Pour
- liquid over pickle mixture. Stir in oil.
- Cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, stirring occasionally. Divide