Christmas Petits Fours Recipe
These pretty, dainty petit fours are attractive and fun to make. You can trim them simply with sprinkles or more elegantly, as time allows.—Linda Ault, Newberry, Indiana
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tube each red and green decorating frosting
- Holiday sprinkles
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture with milk and butter, beating well after each addition. (Batter will be thick).
- 2. Spread evenly into a greased and floured 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut a thin slice off each side of cake. Cut cake into 1-1/4-in. squares. Freeze cakes.
- 4. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 226°. Cool to 100°; beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 5. Keeping glaze warm, dip cake squares into glaze with a two-tine fork, allowing excess to drip off. Place on wire racks over waxed paper. Add hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if glaze becomes too thick. Let dry completely. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles. Yield: 70 petit fours.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC