I tinkered with this recipe four or five times before I got it down to what it is now. It's easy—all you do is mess up two pots—but it tastes as good as the lasagnas that are a big production.
Recommended: 13x9 Potluck Recipes
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jars (28 ounces each) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups (20 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 24 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven or several large skillets, cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, soup, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta and remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread 2 cups meat sauce each into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer each with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, four noodles, 1-1/4 cups cottage cheese mixture and three slices of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Originally published as Christmas Night Lasagna in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p16
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Christmas Night Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2009
"a great recipe everyone that ate simple raved, they even went back for seconds."