Christmas Morning Wreaths Recipe
Since this recipe from Virginia Kreamer-Lutz of Fort Wayne, Indiana makes three wreaths, it's ideal for gift giving during the holidays. Virginia writes, “We keep one wreath and deliver the others to family and friends on Christmas Eve.”
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg white and milk; add to flour mixture. Add yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three equal portions. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. In a large bowl, combine the dates, pecans, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon. Brush dough with butter; sprinkle with filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Place seam side down on baking sheets coated with cooking spray; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist so filling shows. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over wreaths. Yield: 3 wreaths (15 slices each).
1 slice equals 166 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Christmas Morning Wreaths
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC