- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg white and milk; add to flour mixture. Add yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three equal portions. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. In a large bowl, combine the dates, pecans, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon. Brush dough with butter; sprinkle with filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Place seam side down on baking sheets coated with cooking spray; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist so filling shows. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over wreaths. Yield: 3 wreaths (15 slices each).
Originally published as Christmas Morning Wreaths in Light & Tasty December/January 2008, p51
Reviews for Christmas Morning Wreaths
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review