Christmas Morning Oatmeal
I found this recipe online, and was convinced I was eating yummy apple crisp for breakfast. I even cut down on the butter, but this hearty oatmeal remained moist and scrumptious, and worked great when cooked overnight. —Monica Lord, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cranberry-apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add
- apples and cranberries; toss to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow
- cooker. Dot with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, water, juice and salt; pour over
- apple mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until liquid
- is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 287 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.