I found this recipe online, and was convinced I was eating yummy apple crisp for breakfast. I even cut down on the butter, but this hearty oatmeal remained moist and scrumptious, and worked great when cooked overnight. —Monica Lord, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cranberry-apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and cranberries; toss to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Dot with butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, water, juice and salt; pour over apple mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Christmas Morning Oatmeal in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p32
Reviews for Christmas Morning Oatmeal
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2013
"Very good but too tart, I made with substituting half of the juice for water & still too strong for me. I will use this recipe again & vary it some. My hubby liked it :)"