Christmas Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground venison
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without added butter or milk)
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook pork and venison over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, onions, carrot, gravy mix, thyme, mustard, garlic, sage, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Stir in potatoes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Add meat mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Make decorative cutouts or cut slits in pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- 3. Brush pastry and cutouts with milk; place cutouts on the pie. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 517 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Meat Pie
"I didn't have the pork, but wow, this recipe is the closest to my great grandmothers. My husband ate 3 pieces."