Christmas Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground venison
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without added butter or milk)
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook pork and venison over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, onions, carrot, gravy mix, thyme, mustard, garlic, sage, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Stir in potatoes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Add meat mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Make decorative cutouts or cut slits in pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- 3. Brush pastry and cutouts with milk; place cutouts on the pie. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 517 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Meat Pie
"This falls short. It would be 5 stars for Christmas by adding golden raisins, cranberries or currant to this pie. You won't believe how stunningly good it will be."
"The flavors in this meat pie are amazing. My husband and kids all loved it. It's our new favorite dinner recipe."
"I didn't have the pork, but wow, this recipe is the closest to my great grandmothers. My husband ate 3 pieces."