Christmas Jam Recipe
I have a passion for cooking, and it's probably my grandmother I can thank for it. She was a marvelous cook who could really stretch a food dollar. All the same, I've had my share of trial and error over the years. Shortly after we were married, my husband and I were invited to a family picnic. I made the prettiest potato salad you'd ever hope to seen. There was only one problem with that dish I was so proud of—I hadn't cooked the potatoes!
- 1 package (40 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed or 2-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 1. Grind strawberries and cranberries in a food processor or grinder; place in a Dutch oven. Add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Cool for 5 minutes; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 14 half-pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 84 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC