Christmas Hard Candy
When you make a batch of this beautiful jewel-toned candy, your whole house fills with wonderful scents of mint or cinnamon. My mom always makes this candy, and people request it every year. She puts it in clear jars with a holiday calico fabric on the lid. Now I've started making it, too.
-Jane Holman, Moultrie, Georgia
32 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or peppermint oil
- 1 teaspoon red or green food coloring
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook
- on medium-high heat until candy thermometer reads 300°
- (hard-crack stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat;
- stir in oil and food coloring, keeping face away from mixture as
- odor is very strong.
- Immediately pour onto an oiled baking sheet. Cool; break into pieces.
- Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Editor's Note: Cinnamon oil and peppermint oil are available in cake decorating and candy supply stores.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 114 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.