Christmas Gingerbread House
Making a gingerbread house is a favorite tradition for my family during the holidays. We look forward to it every year. —A. Ruth Witmer, Stevens, Pennsylvania
20 ServingsPrep: 2 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 egg whites
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a bowl, cream the shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs, corn
- syrup, cinnamon and ginger; mix well. Combine flour and baking soda;
- gradually add to egg mixture and beat until combined. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight.
- Trace patterns without foldlines onto waxed paper and cut out. Trace
- patterns with foldlines onto folded waxed paper. Cut out and unfold
- for complete patterns. Cut out the windows and doors as directed on
- patterns and discard.
- From waxed paper, also cut an 8-1/2 x 6-in. rectangle for the roof, a
- 1-7/8 x 1-1/4-in. rectangle for doors, a 1-3/8 x 2-3/8-in. rectangle