Christmas Gift Cake
Our home economists had a fun time "wrapping" up this extra-special dessert. Boxed cake mixes make it a snap to prepare while a fast frosting, fruit roll bow and fun candies add festive flair.
12 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 to 8 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red gel food coloring
- 2 pieces (about 36 inches each) cherry fruit by the foot fruit roll
- Assorted candies
- Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans with waxed paper.
- Prepare one cake mix according to package directions; pour into one
- prepared pan. Repeat with remaining cake mix. Bake at 350° for
- 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool
- completely. Gently peel waxed paper from cakes. Trim tops to level
- In a large bowl, cream butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar alternately with
- milk, beating well after each addition. Remove 2 cups frosting to a
- bowl; tint red. Referring to diagram below, cut each cake. (Save
- remaining cake pieces for another use.)