Christmas Fruit Salad
It was at the very first Thanksgiving I spent with my husband's family that I tasted this for the first time. My mother-in-law shared the recipe. I serve it for special occasions, plus it's a main-stay at the potlucks we have at work. After 41 years of marriage, my husband and I still enjoy the salad - along with our four children and their spouses and our nine grandchildren.
-Ina Vickers, Dumas,
12-14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups halved green grapes
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, drained and sliced
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine egg yolks, water, vinegar and salt. Cook
- over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and
- reaches 160°. Remove from the heat and cool; fold in whipped
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dressing; toss to
- coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 293 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.