Christmas Eve Meat Pie Recipe
When this pie is baking, my daughter says that the house smells like Christmas. This recipe evolved over the years and is served as part of our family's Christmas Eve celebration. It's a soul-satisfying dinner on a cold winter day.—Michele Bouchard, Kansas City, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, ground mace and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add beef and pork; cook 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Drain.
- 2. Stir tomato sauce and seasonings into meat mixture. Stir in spinach and potatoes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Add filling. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake 10 minutes.
- 4. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC