Christmas Eve Meat Pie
When this pie is baking, my daughter says that the house smells like Christmas. This recipe evolved over the years and is served as part of our family's Christmas Eve celebration. It's a soul-satisfying dinner on a cold winter day.—Michele Bouchard, Kansas City, Missouri
8 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, ground mace and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium
- heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add beef and pork; cook 8-10 minutes
- or until no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Drain.
- Stir tomato sauce and seasonings into meat mixture. Stir in spinach
- and potatoes. Remove from heat.