- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, ground mace and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add beef and pork; cook 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Drain.
- Stir tomato sauce and seasonings into meat mixture. Stir in spinach and potatoes. Remove from heat.
- Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Add filling. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Christmas Eve Meat Pie
Sort By :
"My family did not enjoy this recipe. Too much meat. The other side dishes made this pie easy to overlook. Was nice to try a new recipe though."
"This was soooo good! I did make a couple of changes, I omitted the hash browns and used cinnamon instead if mace (didn't have mace or hash browns). I used turkey instead of ground beef and used 1 lb of ground pork. Next year when I make this again, I will add a little more tomato sauce since I used more meat."