- 1-3/4 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup potato water.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in cream and reserved potato water. Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add clams, seasonings and potatoes; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Christmas Eve Clam Chowder in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p39
Reviews for Christmas Eve Clam Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review