Christmas Doughnuts Recipe
Making these doughnuts has long been a custom in my French Canadian family. I remember helping with these tender treats as a child and eating the "holes" with my sister and brother. I loved their hint of lemon flavor! Carrying on the tradition, my husband, children and I have made these yummy doughnuts every Christmas for many years.—Michelle Vander Byl, Portland, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:32 servings
- 6 eggs
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil until blended. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts for about 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 8 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC