Christmas Cranberries Recipe
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice and bourbon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 18-22 minutes or until berries pop and mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and orange peel. Ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 half-pints.
Reviews for Christmas Cranberries
Sort By :
I prepared this and gave some to my friends as gifts. They were so impressed and requested that I make more!
I just made this recipe. I did a double batch, and it worked great. It made 20 1/2-cup jars (ndividual servings). It tastes great and cooks so long that the alcohol must mostly evaporate. I made the recipe as given--no changes except the doubling.
I am excited to try this recipe for holiday giving and have loaded it into my Taste of Home Recipe box, but don't want to use the bourbon, here is the substitution I plan to use:
For ¼ cup bourbon, substitute: ¼ cup Sparkling apple cider; sparkling cranberry juice; or sparkling grape juice. These are non-alcoholic but carbonated, non-carbonated would work also!