Christmas Cranberries Recipe
Bourbon adds bite to this holiday standby, packed in a small heavy-duty glass storage container with a tight-fitting lid. Wrap in a vintage tea towel or cloth napkin, cinch with ribbon and adorn with small ornaments. —Becky Jo Smith, Kettle Falls, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Process: 15 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice and bourbon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 18-22 minutes or until berries pop and mixture has thickened.
- 2. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and orange peel. Ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 half-pints.
2 tablespoons equals 54 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC