“A sprinkling of crushed candy cane lends a festive touch to this creamy hot cocoa…or place a chocolate mint candy cane in each mug as a stirrer,” suggests Lori Daniels of Beverly, West Virginia. TIP: Serve this heartwarming beverage with Christmas cookies to welcome friends in from the cold after skating, sledding or caroling.
Recommended: Hot Chocolate for the Holidays
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup instant chocolate drink mix
- 5 chocolate mint candy canes, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk and drink mix. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Remove from the heat. Set aside 1 tablespoon crushed candy canes for garnish. Stir remaining candy canes into cocoa; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Ladle cocoa into mugs. Top with whipped cream; sprinkle with reserved crushed candy canes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Christmas Cocoa in Quick Cooking November/December 2005, p27
Reviews for Christmas Cocoa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2015
"Delicious! The light topping is worth the extra (simple) step. Fun and easy for kids too!"
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2009
"This is delicious. We always bring some with us to sip while we look at Christmas lights."