Christmas Cherry Pie
Vibrant color and a medley of fruit in its filling make this pretty pie a standout. "This special dessert always brings compliments," says Mrs. Clifford Davis of Fort Smith, Arkansas. "The combination of cherries, pineapple, bananas and nuts appeals to most everyone."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 10 to 13 drops red food coloring, optional
- 3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- Drain cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining
- juice or save for another use). In a large saucepan, combine sugar
- and flour. Stir in the pineapple, cherries and reserved juice. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove
- from the heat. Add gelatin powder; stir until dissolved. Stir in
- food coloring if desired. Cool until partially set.
- Stir in bananas and pecans. Pour into the pie shell. Refrigerate for
- at least 3 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped topping.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 417 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium,