Christmas Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (7.3 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Paprika, optional
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add flour; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add pimientos and salt.
- 3. Place half of the cauliflower in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with half of the sauce. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 153 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Cauliflower
"Very tasty, the swiss cheese sauce gives it a pleasantly different flavor from the traditional cheese sauce."
"Does anyone know if this dish is freezable? I'd love to make it for T'giving ahead of time."
"It was a nice variation for a vegetable side dish. My family likes a Spicer dish so I added pepper jack cheese in lieu of Swiss."
"Family really loved this recipe. The flavors where really rich and robust. As an added bonus it had a nice visual appearance. Great!"
"The only change I made is I cut down on the green pepper. We do like everything that went into it but felt it just did not have much taste. If I do make it again I would add some garlic salt or more seasoning."
"It was OK. Easy to make but a little bland even when I added extra swiss cheese.."
"I have cooked this wonderful side dish on many occasions. It is always a hit. everyone loves it so much I don't just make it for Christmas. I am usually asked to make this over and over again."