Christmas Cauliflower Recipe
A Swiss cheese sauce gives this vegetable casserole an extra special taste. I have served it for Christmas for the past 20 years, and my family says the meal just wouldn't be as delicious without it. -Betty Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (7.3 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Paprika, optional
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add flour; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add pimientos and salt.
- 3. Place half of the cauliflower in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with half of the sauce. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 153 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Christmas Cauliflower
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC