VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 12 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 4 chocolate wafers
- Assorted decorations: peppermint candies, gumdrops, Life Savers Gummies, M&M's miniature baking bits, Twizzlers Rainbow Twists, Pull-n-Peel licorice, black licorice twists and additional candies and cookies
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Cover frosting with a damp cloth between uses.
- Break three graham crackers in half, forming six squares; trim side edges with a serrated knife if desired. Place five halved crackers on a piece of waxed paper; microwave on high for 15-20 seconds or until softened. Using the wide end of a small pastry tip, cut out a hole 1/4 in. from the bottom of each cracker.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a #4 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with icing. Pipe icing on the edges of a whole cracker for car base. Attach another whole cracker and the halved cracker without a cutout (for engine front) at right angles to each other, forming two walls of the engine car. Pipe icing along inside and outside edges for added stability. Repeat with second side section and back.
- Repeat twice, forming two box cars. Let engine car and box cars stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Using icing, attach cookies to cars for wheels. For boiler, sandwich two wafers with icing; attach to front of engine. Microwave two wafers on high for 10-15 seconds or until softened. Cut with a serrated knife to form a smokestack and cowcatcher. Attach to engine. Let stand until set.
- Attach peppermint candies and halved gumdrops to wheels with icing. Decorate cars with Life Savers Gummies, miniature baking bits, slices of Rainbow Twists and Pull-n-Peel licorice. Add a headlight to boiler using a Life Savers Gummy and a gumdrop. Decorate boiler with baking bits and attach licorice strips to cowcatcher.
- Place cars on a covered cake board and add couplings to connect the cars using black licorice. Let stand until set. Fill cars with candies and cookies. Yield: 1 train.
Originally published as Christmas Candy Train in Christmas Recipes & Crafts 2011 2011, p31