- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup peppermint candy, crushed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; mix the food coloring into one half. Cover and refrigerate both doughs for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape 1 teaspoon plain dough into a 4-in. rope. Shape 1 teaspoon red dough into a 4-in. rope. Place ropes side by side; press together lightly and twist. Place on ungreased baking sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane. Repeat with remaining plain and red dough, placing 2 in. apart on baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until set. Combine the crushed candy and sugar; sprinkle warm cookies with candy mixture. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Candy Cane Cookies in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p297
Reviews for Christmas Candy Cane Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review