Christmas Candy Bags Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces white candy coating, divided
- 2 small paper bags, (6-1/2 X 1-3/4 inches):
- Candy foils or buttered waxed paper for wrapping caramels
- 1. Caramels: Line a 9-in. square pan with aluminum foil. Butter the foil with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, milk and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm ball stage), stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla.
- 3. Pour the caramel into the prepared pan and let cool. Cut into 1-in. squares. Wrap the caramels individually in candy foils or buttered waxed paper, twisting the ends.
- 4. Bags: Cut 1-in. off the top of the open end of each paper bag. Set the bags aside.
- 5. Break candy coating into chunks. Place 4 oz. in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at 70% power for 45 seconds, then stir. Microwave in 10- to 20-second intervals or until melted. Stir until smooth.
- 6. Pour melted coating into one paper bag. Turn the bag to completely coat the inside bottom and sides. Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the coating over inside of bag. Prop the bag open with toothpicks.
- 7. Melt 4 oz. of additional candy coating as directed. Repeat the coating process with the second bag. Refrigerate the bags for 5-7 minutes or until the coating is set. Remove the toothpicks.
- 8. Melt the remaining coating and brush it evenly over the coating on the bags. Refrigerate the bags 5-7 minutes longer or until set.
- 9. Peel off and discard the paper bags. Fill the candy bags with caramels. Yield: Two bags, 6-1/2 dozen caramels.
Editor's Note: We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on you test. This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave. Crafter thoughts: Pipe "Merry Christmas" or another festive message on the side of each bag with red or green frosting. If you prefer, create your bags with dark instead of white chocolate.
1 each: 3656 calories, 158g fat (112g saturated fat), 318mg cholesterol, 1481mg sodium, 569g carbohydrate (523g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.