- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the red peppers and all the spinach.
- In a bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, basil and salt. Combine eggs and milk; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour over spinach.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Sprinkle with provolone cheese and remaining red peppers. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with rosemary if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Christmas Breakfast Casserole
"Excellent recipe. My only change was I made it the night before and took it directly from the refrigerator to the oven and baked for about 55 minutes."
"My family declared this recipe "a keeper". Used mild Italian (ground pork) sausage. Otherwise followed recipe exactly."
"I don't ususally even review recipes, but I just had to put my 2 cents in this time. It's AWFUL! I don't understand all the good reviews. I followed everything to a T so I think it's just the wrong mix of ingredients . The flour is the worst. Anything would have been better than flour...Bisquick, bread, etc. I don't even know how else to improve this except maybe more seasoning, no flour, add some mushrooms....and maybe use sharp cheddar cheese. The only thing good about this dish is it's pretty to look at. I'm hoping it'll be better tomorrow after it sits all night. If not I will try drowning it in salsa....or throwing it out. And I hate to waste food."
"I used turkey sausage and everyone enjoyed this for Christmas 2015"