Christmas Banana Bread
This bread is a pretty addition to the table during the holidays. Cherries, walnuts and chocolate chips give fast festive flair to the loaf of moist banana bread. —Phyllis Schmalz, Kansas City, Kansas
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the
- flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat
- in bananas just until combined. Stir in the walnuts, chocolate chips
- and cherries.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 70-80
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 235 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium,