Christmas Almond Toffee Recipe
After trying a coworker's fabulous toffee, I had to have the recipe! It's now a regular on my Christmas cookie tray. I also entered it at our country fair and received "Best in Show.”—Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1. Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, melt remaining butter. Add sugar, slivered almonds, water and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295° (approaching hard-crack stage). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 2. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; spread over toffee. Refrigerate 45 minutes or until set. Invert onto an ungreased large baking sheet. Melt remaining chips; spread over toffee. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. Let stand 1 hour. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-1/2 pounds.
1 ounce equals 325 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC