With chorizo sausage, this oven-baked dish is a satisfying main course for any special breakfast. The seasonings blend to create a tantalizing taste everyone at your table will remember.—Donna Cowley, Mount Morris, Illinois
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 loaf (1/2 pound) day-old French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Crumble chorizo into a small skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until fully cooked. Drain. Stir in 1/3 cup cheese and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Rub cut side of garlic clove over bread slices; discard garlic. Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with tomatoes, meat mixture and remaining cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onion powder and pepper flakes. Pour over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chorizo Tomato Strata in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p30
Reviews for Chorizo Tomato Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review