Chorizo Scalloped Potato Casserole Recipe
Here's a scrumptious new take on scalloped potatoes and ham. This rich dish uses chorizo and Mexican cheese blend to give it a South-of-the-border accent.—Kelli Ireton, Manhattan, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 65 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo or Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 2-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until meat is fully cooked; drain. Place chorizo on several layers of paper towel; blot with additional paper towels.
- 2. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, onion and chorizo. Repeat layers.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the broth, cream cheese, cream and salt. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup Mexican cheese blend until melted. Pour over chorizo.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Mexican cheese blend. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 508 calories, 37 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 1,211 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC