Here's a scrumptious new take on scalloped potatoes and ham. This rich dish uses chorizo and Mexican cheese blend to give it a South-of-the-border accent.—Kelli Ireton, Manhattan, Kansas
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2-1/2 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until meat is fully cooked; drain. Place chorizo on several layers of paper towel; blot with additional paper towels.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, onion and chorizo. Repeat layers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, cream cheese, cream and salt. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup Mexican cheese blend until melted. Pour over chorizo.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining Mexican cheese blend. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chorizo Scalloped Potato Casserole in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p45
Reviews for Chorizo Scalloped Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review