Little bites deliver big flavor in this combination of tangy sausage and creamy cheese in crisp wontons. The recipe is an appetizing take-off on my favorite Mexican entree.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 6 ounces uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- For dipping sauce, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, cilantro and chipotle peppers. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; cook for 6-8 minutes over medium heat or until fully cooked. Drain. Stir in the queso fresco, enchilada sauce and chilies.
- Position a wonton wrapper with one point toward you. Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with water; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with dipping sauce. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chorizo-Queso Egg Rolls in Country Woman November/December 2006, p29
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Chorizo-Queso Egg Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2008
"I tried these for a get together that I had with some friends. They loved helping roll the wontons and they were so good! The dip was even really good!"