Chops with Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 boneless pork loin chops (1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Hot mashed potatoes
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first four ingredients; set aside 3 tablespoons. Add pork chops to bag, one at a time, and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chops in butter on both sides; transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In the same pan, saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms until tender. Stir in reserved flour mixture; gradually add milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Pour over chops.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until the meat is tender. Serve with potatoes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Chops with Mushroom Gravy
Sort By :
I am not a pork chop fan, but this recipe is fantastic. The sauce is amazing (even on mashed potatoes). The pork just falls apart in your mouth! I substitute fresh mushrooms for the canned, but otherwise follow the recipe exactly!
I made this last night for dinner and my husband and I loved it. I read the reviews first and did as another reviewer suggested and added celery salt and I added a little more lemon juice also.
My chops turned out extra tender...falling apart in your mouth tender! I served it with
garlicmashed potatoes and green beans. I decided to make garlic toast instead of dinner rolls at
thelast minute and it was very good dipped in the gravy. Will definitely be making this again!
I forgot to add that I used fresh mushrooms too, because I don't like canned ones! :-)
I made this recipe exactly as specified, and I have been cooking a long time. These were the toughest pork chops I have ever had. Ever. When I made the gravy before putting it on the chops it was nice and thick as it should be. After cooking it was a brothy mess. I have an oven thermometer, it is in working order. I cooked the chops at the correct temperature. I tested the pork with a meat thermometer, it registered at the correct temperature. I took the juices from the pan and made a batch of gravy, adding seasonings to taste. There was no flavor to this recipe, other than from the gravy I made. I took a few bites and scraped my entire plate of food into the trash because I was so disgusted. I will try to salvage this by slicing the pork chops into thin bite-sized portions and cooking in it in a crock-pot with my gravy over the pork. Sorry that my review is so harsh. This is the first bad review I have ever left on any of the cooking websites I use. Usually if I find something I don't like I don't leave a rating at all so I don't drag down the recipe's rating level. But this recipe was really deserving of a poor rating and an explanation as to why I gave it.
My husband said this recipe was a winner.
Adults liked it, kids not so much. Didn't have much flavour hot out of the oven, tasted better the next day as left overs:) Really went well with mashed potatoes, and I prefer red over green peppers. I enjoyed making this meal and will make it again.