Chops 'n' Kraut Recipe
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook three chops in 1 teaspoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned; drain. Repeat with remaining chops and 1 teaspoon oil.
- 2. Place pork chops in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside. In the same skillet, cook onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, sauerkraut, brown sugar and caraway seeds. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- 3. Carefully pour over chops. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
1 pork chop with 2/3 cup sauerkraut mixture equals 311 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 691 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Chops 'n' Kraut
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer