Chocolaty Zucchini Cake Recipe
Wondering what to do with that bounty of garden zucchini? Use it to make this fabulous cake. My mom made this delicious chocolaty treat for us every summer when I was growing up. Now I have a family of my own and make it for them.—Denise Leonard, Exeter, New Hampshire
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1. In a bowl, beat eggs on high until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Add oil and chocolate; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the egg mixture. Beat on low just until combined. Stir in zucchini and nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 14 servings.
One piece equals 580 calories, 33 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC