Wondering what to do with that bounty of garden zucchini? Use it to make this fabulous cake. My mom made this delicious chocolaty treat for us every summer when I was growing up. Now I have a family of my own and make it for them.—Denise Leonard, Exeter, New Hampshire
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- In a bowl, beat eggs on high until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Add oil and chocolate; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the egg mixture. Beat on low just until combined. Stir in zucchini and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Zucchini Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p49
Reviews for Chocolaty Zucchini Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review