Chocolaty Double Crunchers Recipe
I first tried these fun crispy cookies at a family picnic when I was a child. Packed with oats, cornflakes and coconut, they quickly became a "regular" at our house. Years later, I still make them for my own family. —Cheryl Johnson, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats, cornflakes and coconut.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped lightly in flour. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For filling, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in chocolate. Spread about 1 tablespoon on half of the cookies and top each with another cookie. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 234 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC