Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake Recipe
“I like to make this when the zucchini in my garden gets ahead of me. It’s a great way to get children to eat their veggies!” Margo Seegrist — Shelton, Washington
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; beat into butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 18 servings.
1 piece equals 172 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC