Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; beat into butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 18 servings.
1 piece: 172 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
"no, was quite disappointed. I thought it needed more chocolate, as is was almost tasteless, but it was moist."
"I MADE IT JUST LIKE THE RECIPE. SO GOOD, SO MOIST. I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN."
"This was very good. My kids loved it and it's a good way to use up zucchini!"
"Family loved this recipe. Kept cleaning their plates. Only change made was a substitute for buttermilk - made my own w/whole milk and lemon juice."
"Yes!! Made it and all loved it. Added walnuts. No one Knew it was with Zucchini"
"My husband and mother loved this. Mild chocolate flavor and very moist. Quite large too, so it lasted three of us a week."
"Thought it would've been better using cocoa instead of melting the chocolate. Wasn't choclatey enough for me. Also a bit too moist."
"I expected this to be a tasty dessert based on the ingredients, but it lacked flavor to me and definitely needed more chocolate. I don't understand so many great reviews when everone used (basically) the same ingredients. It makes me wonder if mine just didn't turn out right. Either that or my taste buds are just too accustomed to sweeter treats. I may have overcooked it a little so that would make some difference too."
"Put in a little extra cocoa as someone else suggested. cake turned out wonderful - lasted less than a day - so moist. I am now watching my zucchini plants to see when I can pick one to make again!"
"Awesome recipe. Made this while camping and made it into 2 smaller pans. Results were moist & delicious! Will definitely be making this one again. Thanks Margo Seegrist for fast, easy & very tasty recipe!"
"I threw the batter out. Worst recipe I have ever tried in my thirty plus years of cooking. Waste of my ingredients."
"Made this as written with home grown zucchini. It was fabulous!!!!! Don't hesitate to try this one. I'm making it again this weekend for a BBQ."
"Great timing as the zucchini starts to take over! After opening TOH's e-mail to view this featured recipe and discovering Margo is from my hometown of Shelton, WA!! Go Highclimbers!!"
"Maybe I messed something up when I baked it, but it was not one of my favorite zucchini recipes."
"This was easy to make, a great way to use zucchini, and moist and delicious. Loved it. A real bargain for the calories! This is a keeper."
"I made this last night and it was delicious, I did however add about a tbs of cocoa, I might even double that next time. They we a huge hit at the office!"