“I like to make this when the zucchini in my garden gets ahead of me. It’s a great way to get children to eat their veggies!” Margo Seegrist — Shelton, Washington
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; beat into butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p51
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review