- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; beat into butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
"no, was quite disappointed. I thought it needed more chocolate, as is was almost tasteless, but it was moist."
"I MADE IT JUST LIKE THE RECIPE. SO GOOD, SO MOIST. I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN."
"My family loved this cake. I did substitute the semisweet chocolate for baking cocoa powder, and added extra cocoa to make it very chocolatey. I used Splenda instead of sugar. It was moist, and a nice chocolate taste."
"This was very good. My kids loved it and it's a good way to use up zucchini!"
"This cake is so good. I didn't have any semisweet chocolate, so I used cocoa powder. Used egg substitute and 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda. Forgot to sprinkle with powdered sugar, but it was wonderful without it."
"Family loved this recipe. Kept cleaning their plates. Only change made was a substitute for buttermilk - made my own w/whole milk and lemon juice."
"I made this chocolate zucchini cake with cocoa, and added choc chips on top after the cake was done instead powder sugar."
"Yes!! Made it and all loved it. Added walnuts. No one Knew it was with Zucchini"
"My husband and mother loved this. Mild chocolate flavor and very moist. Quite large too, so it lasted three of us a week."
"We loved it but... I made it somewhat higher in calories, I added chocolate chips then iced it with chocolate icing . yummy"