- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; beat into butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
"no, was quite disappointed. I thought it needed more chocolate, as is was almost tasteless, but it was moist."
"I MADE IT JUST LIKE THE RECIPE. SO GOOD, SO MOIST. I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN."
"My family loved this cake. I did substitute the semisweet chocolate for baking cocoa powder, and added extra cocoa to make it very chocolatey. I used Splenda instead of sugar. It was moist, and a nice chocolate taste."
"This was very good. My kids loved it and it's a good way to use up zucchini!"
"This cake is so good. I didn't have any semisweet chocolate, so I used cocoa powder. Used egg substitute and 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Splenda. Forgot to sprinkle with powdered sugar, but it was wonderful without it."