Chocolate Zucchini Roll Recipe
"I created this moist cake roll to use my garden zucchini," says Victoria Zmarzley-Hahn from Northampton, Pennsylvania.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:10 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded peeled zucchini
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture until well blended. (batter will be thick).
- 2. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 4. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 309 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC