- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 10-in. plain or fluted
- tube pan. In another bowl, beat sugar, oil and butter until well
- blended. Gradually beat in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and
- cloves; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in zucchini,
- chocolate chips and almonds.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing
- from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and cornstarch.
- Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened
- and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks;
- return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes. Gently stir in butter and extract. Serve warm
- with cake. Cover and refrigerate leftover sauce. Yield: 16 servings.
Editor’s Note: For easier removal of cakes, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 392 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.