The minute I can get my hands on zucchini, I start making this light and luscious cake. For years it was an often-ordered dessert at my sister's deli. —Peggy Linton, Cobourg, Ontario
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 10-in. plain or fluted tube pan. In another bowl, beat sugar, oil and butter until well blended. Gradually beat in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in zucchini, chocolate chips and almonds.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and cornstarch. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gently stir in butter and extract. Serve warm with cake. Cover and refrigerate leftover sauce. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Zucchini Cake in Country Woman September/October 2003, p33
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Custard Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review