Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Coconut Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to batter alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients. Spread over warm cake. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 440 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Coconut Frosting
"This is a delicious cake and speaks to my love of german chocolate cake. The topping is great, but, I doubled it, as a reviewer recommended."
"Loved the frosting; cake was not as moist and flavorful as I was hoping."
"this cake is moist and delicious and everybody loves it. my only change would be is to double the topping recipe as it is sooo good and theres just not enough of it!!"
"Awesome moist Cake!!!! My Husband loved it since he likes German Chocolate cake!"
"very good! Everyone loved it!"
"I love this cake & the topping is great."
"This cake was so good! It stays nice and moist because of the frosting."
"This cake was great. It had a light chocolate flavor and you could taste the undertones of the cinnamon very well. I would definately make this one again!"