Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Coconut Frosting Recipe
Grated zucchini makes this cake really moist, and the topping adds a nice crunch. When zucchini is in season, I shred, measure and freeze it in 2-cup amounts for this favorite recipe. —Lois M Holben, Creal Springs, Illinois
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to batter alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients. Spread over warm cake. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 440 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Coconut Frosting
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC