Chocolate Yule Log Recipe
For many years, this impressive rolled cake has been a favorite Christmas dessert for our family— everyone just loves it! Plus, I'm always asked to bring the rich chocolaty treat to our annual church Christmas function.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Sift flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa powder. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, for the filling, beat the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and almond extract, beating until stiff peaks form. Unroll the cake; spread the filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again.
- 6. In a large bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, milk and vanilla until smooth. Frost the cake, using a metal spatula to create a bark-like effect. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 245 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Yule Log
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC