Chocolate Walnut Ring Recipe
This is an adaptation of my wife's recipe. It's terrific for a holiday brunch or as a mid-morning snack.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18-20 servings
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, butter and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg and yolk; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Combine filling ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18x9-in. rectangle; sprinkle with filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal ends.
- 4. Place seam side down on a greased 12-in. pizza pan; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over ring. Yield: 18-20 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 175 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC