Chocolate Velvet Dessert Recipe
This creamy concoction is the result of several attempts to duplicate a dessert I enjoyed on vacation. It looks so beautiful on a buffet table that many folks are tempted to forgo the main course in favor of this chocolaty treat. —Molly Seidel, Edgewood, New Mexico
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 egg yolks
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, cream and vanilla. Gradually stir a small amount of mixture into melted chocolate until blended; gradually stir in remaining mixture. Pour into crust.
- 3. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and enough milk to achieve a piping consistency. Using a large star tip, pipe frosting on dessert. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece equals 432 calories, 28 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC